Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Baked Apple Pie - In an Apple


For Thanksgiving with my family, I was put in charge of the desserts.  I wanted to do something that wasn't extremely heavy because it seems like no one hardly eats desserts after such a big meal.  I created these apple pies, baked in an apple, after I saw it on Pinterest. 

This dessert was a big hit! Everyone loved it.  I only made 4 total, because I had brought along another small dessert; but, I wish I would have made more.  The only challenge I came across when making this was trying to keep the apples from browning.  I know there are tricks and techniques out there to prevent the browning, but I just worked quickly and added some lemon juice on top of the apples.  I fully baked these at home and the night before.  After Thanksgiving dinner, I popped them in an oven safe dish and put them in the oven at 300º for several minutes to warm them back up.  

Baked Apple Pies: In an Apple

8 Granny Smith Apples
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c. sugar {I used baking splenda}
1 Tbsp brown sugar
Pie Crust {I used the Pillsbury refrigerated kind}

*8 Granny Smith Apples -
4 apples used to bake the pie with;
4 apples used to cut up for the apple chunks for the pie filling

Preheat oven to 375º.

Cut the tops of the apples off and remove the inside (core out) the apple.  You can do this with either a spoon or melon baller {be careful not to puncture a hole through the apple}.  I went ahead and tossed the inside of the apples down the drain - they were all in little pieces and browned before I was able to even attempt to save any of it to use for the pie filling.

*After removing the insides of each apple, I squirt some lemon juice on the inside, placed in a plastic ziploc baggie and put in the fridge until ready to use again.

Using the other four apples, cut up the apples in small pieces {remove skin}.  In a mixing bowl, mix the diced apples with the cinnamon, sugar, and brown sugar.  Spoon the mixture into each hollowed apple.

Roll out pie crust into thin strips and place a lattice {or any other type of pattern} across the apples.

Fill an 8x8 baking dish with just enough water to cover the bottom.
Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Then, remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or
until crust is golden brown.

*Optional step: once you take the apples out of the fridge, you can line the apples with some of the pie crust.  I used to top of a glass cup to cut a circle out of the crust and molded it to the inside of the apple before filling with the apple mixture.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment