Friday, November 9, 2012

"The 'Best' Stuffing Ever"




I am such a fan of the holidays - Thanksgiving & Christmas.  Nothing makes me happier than spending time with family, relaxing, and cooking some good meals!  If you know me, my favorite dish at Thanksgiving is probably stuffing.  No one else is my family really loves stuffing, so when I was younger my mom would make the kind just from the box - you know, Stovetop.  I think I have pretty much grown up on Stovetop stuffing/dressing, but have always really liked it.

About 2 years ago, I stumbled upon a recipe for homemade stuffing on a blog that I frequent.  There are quite a few ingredients - which always steers me away from a recipe (I'm such a daring cook!).  However, I have always wanted to make the stuffing.  The name of it is quite catchy, "The Best Stuffing Ever".  I finally decided to tackle the recipe and it did not disappoint.  Although I'm not going to be making it for the actual Thanksgiving dinner this year, I think we may need to add it in next year!



The Best Stuffing Ever
{Adapted from: Picky Palate}


1 lb sourdough, cubed (I bought mine pre-cubed)
12 oz. baked cornbread, cubed
14 Tbsp butter
1 large onion, diced
2-3 cups diced celery
2 cups chopped carrots
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary
1 Tbsp fresh sage
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb Jimmy Dean Sage Sausage


Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place cubed sourdough and cornbread on large baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly toasted. Then remove from oven.

Melt butter in large rimmed skillet on medium heat. Saute onions, celery, and carrots for about 10 minutes, or until veggies are tender.  Stir in garlic and cook for another couple minutes.  Then pour in chicken broth, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper.  Stir and reduce heat to low and simmer.

Brown sausage in skillet and drain.  Then add to veggie mixture.  Place bread cubes into a large bowl and slowly pour mixture over cubes, gently stirring throughout to ensure all pieces are coated evenly.

Spray large baking dish, 11x7, and bake for approx 25-30 minutes - just until lightly browned on top.  Remove from oven & enjoy!!

To view step-by-step instructions/original recipe -- Picky Palate - The Best Stuffing Ever

No comments:

Post a Comment