Monday, November 19, 2012

Pumpkin Pecan Pie: In a Jar



I can't remember how I originally stumbled upon this recipe. I had wanted to try out a dessert jar recipe for awhile and thought this one sounded delicious.  I went to World Market and bought some individual glass jars (they are very reasonably priced).  I grabbed 2 different sizes so that I could experiment with both.  I decided the smaller jars are more appropriate for individual desserts.  These little jarred pies are delicious and easy to make.  Desserts in a jar are now one of my favorite ways to bake little individual desserts.  You can get very creative and come up with some of your own ideas, too.  Mix and match all sorts of different recipes!

I followed the recipe that is below, the only thing that I did different was that I added the turkey on top of the pie.  I just used Pilsbury refrigerated pie crust and my stamper cut outs from William-Sonoma to make the turkeys.  I placed them on top of the pies about 7 minutes before they were done baking. 

Pumpkin Pecan Pie:
In a Jar
{source: Glorious Treats}


1-15 oz. can of pumpkin
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
3 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 1/2 c. chopped pecans
3/4 c. butter, melted
whipped cream, cool whip, or ice cream for topping (when served)

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
 Place each jar on a cookie sheet and spray each jar with non stick cooking spray. 

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
Fill each jar with about 1/2 cup of pumpkin mixture. 
Sprinkle 1-2 Tbsp of dry cake mix on top of the pumpkin layer.  
Then, sprinkle approx 1 Tbsp of chopped pecans on top. 
Pour 1 Tbsp of melted butter on top. 



Bake for approximately 40 minutes {insert toothpick in center of jar and if clean, then pies should be done baking}. 
**If adding a turkey or some other pie crust cut out on top, place on top of pies approximately last 7 minutes of baking.
Cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.  If not serving right away, I recommend placing them in the refrigerator. 

Enjoy!!!

I doubled the recipe and made enough for Chris to take to work for his co-workers and families.  I placed them all in a wicker tray, which allowed for easy transportation.   And I was pleasantly surprised several days later when he brought back the empty jars.  I thought it was so nice of everyone to return the jars!!


Have fun with this recipe!! And think about all the other options and types of pies or cakes you could bake in a jar! 

No comments:

Post a Comment