Wednesday, November 7, 2012

{Best Ever} Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies


Before I started nursing school, I had to take a couple prerequisite courses - one of them being physiology.  Physiology was by far my favorite course.  I love understanding how and why everything works the way that it does.  I think another reason I loved the course so much was because of my amazing teacher.  She was so good at teaching the course and was able to teach to us so that it made sense to us (versus just memorizing material for an exam).  

Before each exam we had a study review in class.  At each review, she would bring homemade chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.  Everyone begged her for the recipe, but she said she wasn't going to give it out until the end of the course on the last review session (incentive for everyone to attend!).  She kept her promise and shared the recipe with us.  She got the original recipe from when one of her children attended some sort of summer camp.  She told us that she got the recipe, made it at home, and it tasted nothing like what she had tried.  She said she had contacted the people about the recipe and they gave her very detailed step by step instructions on how they put together the recipe.  From what she told us, she said that it is very important to mix this recipe by hand (no kitchen aid, no blender, etc) - just a good old fashion baking spoon!  

I don't have a picture of these cookies at this time.  I just really wanted to get this recipe saved somewhere so I don't lose it.  I still have it written down on the back of one of my review sheets - and there is vanilla, flour, etc. all over it! 

{Best Ever} Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

1 c. margarine (2 sticks), room temperature (I use Fleishmann)
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla (do not use imitation)
2 c. old fashioned oats
1.5 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I like to use the chunks by Nestle)

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Mix together (not with mixer): margarine, sugar, and brown sugar - until well mixed.
Add in eggs and mix together.
Next, add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Mix together until well combined. 
Lastly, mix in vanilla, oats, and chocolate chips. 

Drop mixture by spoonfuls onto baking sheet and bake for 8-12 minutes.  Take out of oven before fully "cooked" - you still want it a little gooey.  Let cool for a couple minutes on baking sheet, then transfer onto foil and place in freezer. 

I usually keep mine in the freezer and eat them cold.  But that's just my preference! 

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment