Monday, February 25, 2013

Snow Day Cookies


I have been wanting to make these cookies for awhile because the base for these cookies are a little different than most.  The recipe uses corn starch, which I guess creates the thickness and fluffiness of these cookies.  They are also super soft and chewy - which I read is created by the higher ratio of brown sugar to white sugar (who knew?).  Anyways, they are really good and I am anxious to use this base for different types of cookies now!  

These were the perfect cookies to make today because it was snowing this afternoon (and the cookies have Snocaps in them!).  Snocaps are not a candy that I have ever bought.  I couldn't even tell you the last time I had one.  So, when I went to the store to go purchase them, I couldn't find them.  I tried Target, Wal-Mart, & Hy-Vee.  I mentioned something to my dad about it and was able to find some at Walgreens (thanks Dad!).  If you do not have all the baking chips that are listed in the recipe, feel free to use whatever you have on hand - anything will work!  I used dark chocolate, semi-sweet, and white chocolate (hence, the name triple choco-chip). 

Snocap Triple Choco-Chip Cookies
{Adapted from: Sally's Baking Addiction}

3/4 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c. dark brown sugar (light brown sugar works too, but dark is preferred)
1/4 c. sugar (I used baking splenda)
1 large egg, room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt (I only used 1/4 tsp)
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 c. dark chocolate chips
1/4 c. white chocolate chips
1/2 c. Snocaps

In a large bowl, mix together (with a stand mixer or hand mixer) butter and sugars, until well combined and fluffy on medium speed.  Then, mix in egg and vanilla. 

In small separate bowl, add flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Simply stir ingredients together. 

Slowly add in flour mixture to large bowl with butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla - mix together on slow speed until well combined.  Then, stir in chocolate chips and snocaps. 

Refrigerate dough for minimum of 30 minutes -- you can refrigerate dough for up to 3 days.  I wrapped mine up in that press-n-seal wrap and let it chill for about 2 hours.  

When ready to bake cookies, preheat oven to 350ºF.  Use parchment paper or a baking sheet to bake cookies on.  Scoop about 1.5 Tbsp of dough onto sheet for each cookie (slightly flatten out -- just a little bit, though!)  

Bake for 8 minutes.  They may appear slightly under cooked, but do not let them crisp at all!  I just let mine sit on the baking sheet once out of the oven for a couple minutes then remove to cool. 

The recipe states - Do not drop dough onto warm cookie sheets to bake.  Make sure the cookie sheets are completely cooled before baking. 

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment