Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes


Yesterday, I told my mom I would fix her dinner - I gave her a couple good options to choose from and she chose the Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes ... Probably because I raved about them the first time I made them.  I like sloppy joes, but they have never been a favorite, or a "go-to" dinner, of mine.  I came across this recipe though and was intrigued.  I love tex-mex food and flavors!  I think it will become a "go-to" dinner in our house.  My mom was impressed by it and Chris enjoyed it, as well, the first time I made it.  Also, it makes great leftovers! 

Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes
{Original Recipe: Kitchen Meets Girl}

1 lbs ground turkey {or ground beef}
4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 cup beef broth
1 cup tomato sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp hot sauce 
Optional to add: Fritos, pico de gallo, corn salsa

Cook bacon according to package, then chop, or break up, into small pieces.
Brown ground turkey over medium-high heat in a large skillet pan.  Once cooked, add in bacon, onion, jalapeno, garlic, and spices.  Cook until onion is softened, approx 5 minutes.

Combine remaining ingredients together in separate bowl: beef broth, tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and hot sauce.  Pour over ground turkey mixture and simmer until the liquid slightly reduces, approx 5-10 minutes.  If after 10 minutes, sauce is still runny, bring to a slight boil and continue to let it reduce.

Spoon mixture onto hamburger buns and top with any additional toppings you may like!  
{I always like to add fritos}.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment