Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmas Eve Quiche & Maple Bacon


A couple weeks ago, my sister & I went to a cooking class together.  It was our second time taking a cooking class with this instructor.  The first class we went to was Thanksgiving themed.  The second class we went to was a brunch theme.  We both really enjoyed the classes and are looking forward to trying out some more!  What I really love about the classes and the recipes that we have used to cook with, is that the recipes are very simple and do not require tons of ingredients or time to prep.  However, they turn out delicious and very impressive!  

I decided to make a couple of the recipes from the brunch class for Christmas Eve dinner.  Chris & I don't really have any Christmas Eve traditions (sad, I know).  It has been hard with my job because some years I have to work on Christmas Eve.  But, maybe now we can start a tradition of brunch/breakfast food for Christmas Eve! 

Christmas Eve Quiche

1 pastry crust
4 eggs
1 1/4 c. Half & Half (you can use milk, but it won't be as creamy)
Salt & Pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 c. white cheddar cheese, shredded (Tilamook is delicious)
2 Tbsp. chives, minced

Preheat oven to 325ºF. 

In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half, salt & pepper, cayenne pepper.  Set to side. 
Roll out pie dough and place in pie dish, crimping the edge for the pie-like appearance. 
Sprinkle the shredded cheese and chives around the bottom of the pie shell.  Then, pour in the egg mixture.  
Bake for 45 minutes. 

Mapled Bacon

1 pkg bacon (I like to use turkey bacon or center cut)
2 Tsbp. real maple syrup

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

Line a glass baking dish with foil, make sure completely covered (I used my 13x9 glass Pyrex dishes). 
Place layer of bacon on top of foil.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Brush bacon slices with maple syrup and bake for another 5 minutes. 

*Lining dishes with foil and baking bacon in the oven is a much easier way to cook bacon.  It makes for easy clean up and you don't have the splatter of bacon grease all on top of your stove.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment