Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Coconut Cream {Easter} Pies


While hunting for what I was going to bake for Easter dessert, I came upon several recipes that sparked my interest.  I finally narrowed it down to 2 - Coconut Cream Pies and Carrot Cake Pie.  Deciding between the two recipes was near impossible because Chris's favorite dessert is coconut cream pie and my favorite dessert is carrot cake.  I asked my family what sounded good and their reply - "Both sound good!" I decided to make both.  The coconut cream pies were baked individually  which worked well for smaller portions.  You could put the recipe together and make one large pie, I guess.  

The recipe for the coconut cream pies can be found in the cookbook Desserts in a Jar.  Chris and Laney got me the cookbook for Christmas and is filled with all sorts of fun recipes!  I also found the recipe on Crazy for Crust's blog {love this blog, by the way!}.  I followed the directions step by step, but somehow my pudding mixture was still soupy after several hours of being chilled.  So, I had to adapt the recipe a bit.  I added in approx 1 1/2 pkg of coconut cream instant pudding mix {by Jell-O}.  So... if you encounter the same problem, just make sure you have some coconut cream instant pudding on hand to help thicken it up!  

Also, I did not make the meringue topping.  I simply used fat-free, sugar-free cool whip.  If you are interested in making the meringue topping, you can follow click on the link above to Crazy for Crust and find the instructions there. 

*The colored ramekins were purchased at World Market (only $1.95 for each).

Coconut Cream {Easter} Pies

1 pkg refrigerated Pilsbury pie crust
3 c. milk {I used skim}
2/3 c. sugar
5 large egg yolks
1/4 c. cornstarch
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract, optional
1 c. coconut, plus extra for toppings
Fat-free, sugar-free Cool Whip
Mini easter egg candy -
{I used Cadbury mini eggs for some and M&M eggs for others}
 6-8 Mini ramekins or glass jars

Roll out pie crust and bake in bottom of ramekins per instructions on box.
*I had some extra pie crust, so I baked it on a baking sheet and then crumbled it on the bottom of each ramekin

In a large {heatproof} bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar.  Whisk togehter {by hand} until smooth, will become light yellow in color.  Set to side.

In a medium sized sauce pan, add milk and cornstarch.  Set over medium heat until bubbles begin to form around the edges, stirring constantly {about 5 minutes}.  While the mixture is hot, pour approximately 1/2 cup into the bowl with the egg yolks and sugar - whisk together to temper the eggs.  Then, whisk in approximately another 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixutre into the eggs.  Pour the entire egg/milk mixture back in the sauce pan.  Place back on medium heat and continue heating until it thickens {approx 2 minutes}. 

Remove from heat and add in vanilla extract, coconut extract {if desired}, and coconut.  Place pudding mixture into fridge for several hours to continue to thicken and chill. 

If your mixture is not thick enough, or pudding-like, add some coconut cream instant pudding mix until it is thickened to your liking, I used approx 1 1/2 small pkgs of the instant pudding mix. 

In a small pan, over medium heat, add coconut - stirring constantly {can burn easily} until toasted and browned. 

Divide pudding mix evenly into ramekins.  Top with cool whip, sprinkle with toasted coconut.  Add mini easter egg candy, if desired. 

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment